February 10, 2017
Hahhhh... Chocolate for Valentine's Day... Cliche but can never go wrong!
Justin and I made our own tradition for "staying in on Valentine's Day" since we began dating. We figured that instead of braving the cold to go out or fight the other romantics for the best table at the most highest rated spots in town, we should just keep the celebration simple and stress-free, stay in, and just enjoying each other's company, and have some quality us time.
We love food, but we're not fancy cooks, so we always try to go for recipes that are easy but big on taste! This torta caprese (an Italian flourless chocolate almond cake) is just the right kind of desert for us!
Without further ado...
TORTA CAPRESE | ingredients (for a 8" cake pan)
- Dark chocolate - 4oz
- Almond flour - 4oz
- Butter, salted or unsalted, cut to chunks - 1 stick + 1 tbsp
- Sugar - 1/2 cup
- Egg yolks - 3
- Egg whites - 3
TORTA CAPRESE | instructions
- Preheat the oven to 320ºF.
- In a bowl, melt your chocolate over a double boiler. Breaking up the pieces help speed up the process.
- Once the chocolate is melted, remove it from the double boiler. Stir in the chunks of butter to create a butter/chocolate mixture (if the butter is difficult to melt, this can be done over the double boiler too... just make sure the mixture doesn't get so hot that the butter begins to bubble!)
- Stir in the sugar and almond flour. Mix well.
- Wait for the mixture to cool before stirring in the egg yolks.
- In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites until it peaks. Slowly pour the egg white foam into the chocolate batter and mix.
- Line your 8" cake pan with parchment or wax paper. Pour in the batter and shake a little to even out the top.
- Bake 40 minutes. The final product should have a "dry" looking top and moist (not wet) inside!